Autopsy: A Scarpetta Novel (Kay Scarpetta #25) (Hardcover)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 25 in the Kay Scarpetta series.
- #1: Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta #1) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #2: Body of Evidence: Scarpetta 2 (Kay Scarpetta #2) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #4: Cruel and Unusual: Scarpetta 4 (Kay Scarpetta #4) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #5: The Body Farm (Large Print / Hardcover): $38.74
- #6: Una muerte sin nombre / From Potter's Field Scarpetta (Doctora Kay Scarpetta #6) (Paperback): $13.95
- #7: Cause of Death (Kay Scarpetta #7) (Compact Disc): $34.99
- #8: Unnatural Exposure (Kay Scarpetta #8) (Compact Disc): $34.99
- #9: Point of Origin Lib/E (Kay Scarpetta Mysteries #9) (Compact Disc): $59.99
- #10: Black Notice Lib/E (Kay Scarpetta Mysteries #10) (Compact Disc): $59.99
- #11: The Last Precinct Lib/E (Kay Scarpetta Mysteries #11) (Compact Disc): $79.99
- #12: Blow Fly Lib/E (Kay Scarpetta Mysteries #12) (Compact Disc): $59.99
- #13: El libro de los muertos / Book of the Dead (Doctora Kay Scarpetta #13) (Paperback): $13.95
- #16: Scarpetta (Spanish Edition) (Doctora Kay Scarpetta #16) (Paperback): $13.95
- #17: El factor Scarpetta / The Scarpetta Factor (Doctora Kay Scarpetta #17) (Hardcover): $16.95
- #20: The Bone Bed (Hardcover): $28.95
- #21: Dust (Hardcover): $28.95
- #22: The Patricia Cornwell CD Audio Treasury Low Price: Contains All That Remains and Cruel and Unusual (Kay Scarpetta Series #22) (Abridged / CD-Audio): $14.99
- #23: Depraved Heart: A Scarpetta Novel (Kay Scarpetta #23) (Hardcover): $28.99
- #24: Chaos: A Scarpetta Novel (Kay Scarpetta #24) (Hardcover): $28.99
In this relaunch of the electrifying, landmark #1 bestselling thriller series, chief medical examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta hunts those responsible for two wildly divergent and chilling murders.
Forensic pathologist Kay Scarpetta has come almost full circle, returning to Virginia as the chief medical examiner, the state where she launched her storied career. Finding herself the new girl in town once again after being away for many years, she’s inherited not only an overbearing secretary, but also a legacy of neglect and potential corruption.
She and her husband Benton Wesley, now a forensic psychologist with the U.S. Secret Service, have relocated to Old Town Alexandria where she’s headquartered five miles from the Pentagon in a post-pandemic world that’s been torn by civil and political unrest. Just weeks on the job, she’s called to a scene by railroad tracks where a woman’s body has been shockingly displayed, her throat cut down to the spine, and as Scarpetta begins to follow the trail, it leads unnervingly close to her own historic neighborhood.
At the same time, a catastrophe occurs in a top-secret laboratory in outer space, endangering at least two scientists aboard. Appointed to the highly classified Doomsday Commission that specializes in sensitive national security cases, Scarpetta is summoned to the White House and tasked with finding out exactly what happened. But even as she works the first potential crime scene in space remotely, an apparent serial killer strikes again very close to home.
About the Author
Patricia Cornwell is recognized as one of the world’s top bestselling crime authors with novels translated into thirty-six languages in more than 120 countries. Her novels have won numerous prestigious awards including the Edgar, the Creasey, the Anthony, the Macavity, and the Prix du Roman d’Aventure. Beyond the Scarpetta series, Patricia has written a definitive book about Jack the Ripper, a biography, and three more fiction series among others. Cornwell, a licensed helicopter pilot and scuba diver, actively researches the forensic technologies that inform her work. She was born in Miami, grew up in Montreat, North Carolina, and now lives and works in Boston.
“With a sophisticated narrative, an outstanding company of characters, a horrific crime, and a surprising ending [Cornwell] proves you can go home again… Scarpetta is brilliant, compassionate and humble, excelling in her profession and in diplomacy while trying to solve a heinous crime… Longtime fans will cheer Scarpetta’s return.”
— Library Journal (starred review)
“The autopsy, remotely controlled by Scarpetta — and physically carried out by two astronauts — is an astonishing, groundbreaking sequence… Patricia Cornwell’s terse, evocative style adds to the creeping sense of unease… Thirty years on, there’s still no other crime writer like her.”
— The Sunday Times (UK)
“Scarpetta is back at her former job as chief medical examiner for the state of Virginia. She has a lot of cleaning up to do… [Cornwell] pulls it off nicely. In fact, she pulls off the whole book nicely. Scarpetta's return to her Virginia roots feels just right.”
— Booklist on Autopsy
“Dr. Kay Scarpetta… [is] an awesome force in the field of forensic science.”
— New York Times Book Review on Flesh and Blood
“In this tense forensic thriller, an ingenious killer threatens to destroy that which Kay Scarpetta loves most—her family.”
— Daily News on Flesh and Blood
“Everyone knows Scarpetta; she has the wit, intelligence, and strength that any forensic sleuth should own. This never-stop action plot is yet another gift to readers from Patricia Cornwell-a literary artist that is never going to stop writing some of the best and most memorable thrillers out there.”
— Suspense Magazine on Flesh and Blood
“In Scarpetta, Patricia Cornwell has a character as strong as any in popular fiction.”
— Wall Street Journal
“When it comes to the forensic sciences, nobody can touch Cornwell.”
— New York Times Book Review
“Patricia Cornwell has created characters with real emotions and life experiences, and she provides them with more than enough danger to make things interesting. Dr. Scarpetta has become a good friend.”
— MysteryPlayground.net on Chaos
“Lots of cutting-edge forensic detail and some revelatory character moments.”
— Publishers Weekly on Chaos